New York/Stuttgart – This updated edition provides a comprehensive basis for understanding, identifying, and treating the underlying multifactorial etiologies of dizziness and imbalance. Vertigo is a common malady for which patients seek treatment, yet the vestibular system and its associated disorders are often misunderstood. This book effectively demystifies this topic, with clinical pearls and knowledge from foremost experts in the field.
The first six chapters cover procuring a thorough patient history, examination techniques, computerized testing, radiological studies, surgical anatomy and physiology of the vestibular system, and laboratory testing. Subsequent chapters concisely detail the diagnosis and treatment of pathologies such as Meniere's disease, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, labyrithinitis, superior semicircular canal dehisence syndrome, and unilateral peripheral vestibulopathy.
- Covers the full age continuum - from congenital and pediatric vestibular disorders - to balance conditions associated with aging
- Highlights the most common pathologies such as BPPV, as well as fairly rare diseases like Mal de Debarquement syndrome and perilymph fistulas
- Discusses the impact of alcohol, migraines, and allergies on the vestibular system and the intrinsic roles they play in causing dizziness
- New insights on medications, rehabilitation, and the use of implantable vestibular devices
- Expanded video library provides guidance on testing modalities, visual disturbances, nystagmus patterns, and specific disorders
Physicians who read this authoritative guide will gain knowledge that is essential for optimal management of patients with vertigo and disequilibrium. It is an invaluable resource for otolaryngologists, as well as neurologists, physical therapists, internists, geriatricians, family practitioners, audiologists, and even cardiologists.
Peter C. Weber
Vertigo and Disequilibrium A Practical Guide to Diagnosis and Management
Thieme Publishers, New York, Stuttgart. 2017
248 pp, 167 illustrations
eBook – Available from ebookstore.thieme.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes
Thieme Publishing Group is a medical and scientific publishing house employing more than 900 staff and maintaining offices in seven cities, including New York, Delhi, Rio and Stuttgart, Germany. Founded in 1886, the Thieme name has become synonymous with high quality and excellence in online and print publishing. Thieme publishes 150 peer-reviewed journals and more than 450 new books annually. The company has a rapidly growing array of web-based products in medicine and science. State-of-the-art online products include eNeurosurgery, Medlantis, Thieme E-Journals, Thieme Electronic Book Library, the medical student website WinkingSkull.com and Thieme Teaching Assistant, an innovative web-based platform for faculty. For more information about Thieme, please visit www.thieme.com.
Public Relations and Press Office
Thieme Publishing Group