New York/Stuttgart – Although there have been significant advancements in minimally invasive spinal surgery techniques in the last few decades, optimal outcomes for chronic low back pain remain elusive. A number of promising clinical trials have been conducted using tissue engineering and biological interventions for disc degeneration. Written by renowned innovators, this is the first book that covers implementation of these ground-breaking approaches for disc disease.
The text begins with key fundamentals including anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, imaging and biomechanics to delineate healthy versus diseased spine. Subsequent sections discuss treatment strategies, research findings, and future developments. Throughout each chapter, renowned spine surgeons and scientists share clinical pearls gleaned from hands-on experience.
- The current state of the art in biological and tissue engineering procedures for spinal disorders
- Treatment methodologies including nucleus replacement and repair, annulus fibrosus repair, total disc transplantation, and mechanical total disc replacement
- Innovative treatment strategies for disc regeneration, such as genes and proteins
- Growth factors including platelet-rich plasma (PRP), which has shown promise for the stimulation and acceleration of bone and soft tissue healing
- Cell-based therapy for spinal disc regeneration and repair including the use of stem cells and chondrocytes
- In-depth discussion of research including animal versus human model, in-vitro, and a summary of biologic clinical trials
This is a must-have resource for trainee and practicing orthopaedic surgeons and neurosurgeons who treat patients for spine-related conditions. It is essential reading for all clinicians who have an interest in cutting-edge tissue engineering and biological treatment interventions.
Biological Approaches to Spinal Disc Repair and Regeneration for Clinicians
Thieme Publishers, New York, Stuttgart. 2017
216 pp, 94 illustrations
eBook – Available from ebookstore.thieme.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes
Thieme Publishing Group is a medical and scientific publishing house employing more than 900 staff and maintaining offices in seven cities, including New York, Delhi, Rio and Stuttgart, Germany. Founded in 1886, the Thieme name has become synonymous with high quality and excellence in online and print publishing. Thieme publishes 150 peer-reviewed journals and more than 450 new books annually. The company has a rapidly growing array of web-based products in medicine and science. State-of-the-art online products include eNeurosurgery, Medlantis, Thieme E-Journals, Thieme Electronic Book Library, the medical student website WinkingSkull.com and Thieme Teaching Assistant, an innovative web-based platform for faculty. For more information about Thieme, please visit www.thieme.com.
Public Relations and Press Office
Thieme Publishing Group