New York/Stuttgart – Video Atlas of Ophthalmic Suturing: Fundamentals and Techniques by Steven Brooks, MD, is the first multimedia atlas dedicated to effective suturing and knot tying skills in ophthalmic surgery. The text and videos not only cover essential suturing techniques, but merge these concepts with critical principles of wound healing, tissue biomechanics, ergonomics, and the physical properties of common ophthalmic sutures and surgical needles. This atlas fills a significant knowledge gap in educational ophthalmic surgery literature, and greatly enhances the fundamental knowledge and skills provided in ophthalmic surgical training programs.
The reader is guided step by step starting with history, safety, basic principles, and the role of the suture in wound healing. Subsequent chapters cover all aspects of sutures – from design and proper selection of tools to basic skills and advanced techniques. The instructional videos, accompanying text, and high-quality illustrations provide the resources necessary to develop muscle memory, tactile experience, and conceptual understanding required for eventual mastery. The easy-to-follow didactics enable practicing and replicating various skills in a training lab environment.
- Fifty ophthalmic surgery videos utilize non-biological model materials and larger sutures than those used in ophthalmic practice, clearly demonstrating the technical and spatial aspects of suturing maneuvers
- The videos are provided as QR codes directly in the book and are also on the accompanying Media Center site
- A chapter on safe practices, a critical issue rarely discussed in surgical texts, helps prevent the risk of sharps injuries in the operating room
- Discussion of the composition and properties of common surgical threads used in ophthalmic surgery enables proper selection of sutures, needles, holders, forceps, and stitching patterns for specific cases
- Clinical pearls on topics such as tissue stabilization, proper hand position, avoiding common errors, and complications
- A self-assessment quiz ensures a solid understanding of the material presented
Unique in the field, this outstanding reference provides the beginning ophthalmic surgeon practical knowledge of anatomy, pathophysiology, wound healing, biomechanics, and hands-on suturing techniques. Teaching ophthalmologists will discover robust material from which to design didactic and wet lab resident courses.
Steven E. Brooks
Video Atlas of Ophthalmic Suturing. Fundamentals and Techniques
Thieme Publishers, New York, Stuttgart. 2017
65 pp, 42 illustrations
eBook – Available from ebookstore.thieme.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes
Thieme Publishing Group is a medical and scientific publishing house employing more than 900 staff and maintaining offices in seven cities, including New York, Delhi, Rio and Stuttgart, Germany. Founded in 1886, the Thieme name has become synonymous with high quality and excellence in online and print publishing. Thieme publishes 150 peer-reviewed journals and more than 450 new books annually. The company has a rapidly growing array of web-based products in medicine and science. State-of-the-art online products include eNeurosurgery, Medlantis, Thieme E-Journals, Thieme Electronic Book Library, the medical student website WinkingSkull.com and Thieme Teaching Assistant, an innovative web-based platform for faculty. For more information about Thieme, please visit www.thieme.com.
Public Relations and Press Office
Thieme Publishing Group