A complete, single-volume reference for the cytological examination of cerebrospinal fluid!
This full-color atlas presents all the essential information needed for reaching an accurate cytological diagnosis of cerebrospinal fluid and its abnormalities. Designed as a clinical and laboratory reference, Atlas of CSF Cytology provides an overview of all the standard diagnostic techniques and offers insight into advanced methods such as flow cytometry and immunocytological phenotyping. Brief descriptions of the indications, advantages, and limitations are provided for each method. An extensive collection of more than 300 high-quality cytological pictures demonstrating normal cell structures, as well as pathological cells in acute and remission phases enables the reader to understand disease processes.
- Guidelines for the proper handling of specimens, cell preparation, and staining techniques
- Review of the common sources of error in diagnosis
- Thorough coverage of the techniques for detecting and classifying inflammatory, infectious, neoplastic, and hemorrhagic conditions of the central nervous system
- Descriptions of the principle features of cells and the classification of tumor cell types according to current W.H.O. standards
- Full-color images depicting pathological alterations of CSF cells -- an indispensable visual aid to comprehension
Atlas of CSF Cytology is ideal for specialists in neurology, neurosurgery, pathology/neuropathology, cytopathology, microbiology, and laboratory medicine, as well as for those internists, pediatricians, and psychiatrists who frequently request cytological examination of the CSF. Though it is written to meet the needs of specialists, the "Atlas" will also be found accessible and enlightening by interested medical students, interns and residents.