Intervertebral Fusion Using Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Implants provides surgeons with thorough and practical information they need to skillfully use CFRP devices in their practices. It is the first comprehensive work on the subject written by the developer, Dr. John Brantigan, and by Dr. Carl Lauryssen. They have assembled a group of preeminent orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons from around the world who present data supporting the use of CFRP implants for interbody fusion as a safe and effective treatment for spinal pathologies requiring anterior column reconstruction of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
This beautiful semi-atlas is organized into six parts. The book opens with a thorough review of clinical fundamentals and in Part II widens in scope to a detailed discussion of the implants and results. Each implant is clearly described and clinical results are presented. Histologic photographs and numerous pre- and postoperative radiographs demonstrate the results that can be achieved. Part III addresses important patient education issues.
Part IV on surgical technique provides clear, step-by-step instruction to help you skillfully and safely plan and execute operations. Each chapter fully discusses indications, operative technique, postoperative care, and key points. All procedures are liberally illustrated with step-by-step medical artwork and photographs. Numerous imaging modalities present the preoperative status as well as postoperative results. In Part V, potential pitfalls and complications are addressed at length, and management strategies are provided for problems that might occur. The final part of this work is devoted to in-depth study of case reports. To complement this book, two DVDs with operative video are included.
For orthopedic and neurosurgical spine surgeons who treat degenerative conditions, fractures and tumors, this book is a must. Spine professionals who refer patients for surgical treatment or participate in their rehabilitation will also find this book full of essential information. No other source provides so much sound, practical advice or such complete coverage.
- Applied surgical anatomy of the cervical and lumbar spine
- Guidelines for transfusion management for spine surgery
- Histologic studies of bone inside retrieved and biopsied interbody fusions
- Multiple studies of biologic performance of CFRP implants in experimental pig studies
- Evidence-based rationale for anterior lumbar interbody fusion using CFRP implants
- Long-term results of CFRP cage PLIF
- Use of CFRP implants to treat degenerative lumbar scoliosis
- Classification and treatment of spine tumors using the CFRP Stackable Cage system
- Use of Stackable cages for treatment of thoracolumbar fractures