10 Tips: A Checklist for Authors
- Include your name (and names of co-authors), affiliation, and contact information (complete mailing address, phone, fax, email) on title page of manuscript.
- Ensure your chapter title is the same as it appears on the table of contents.
- Paginate each page of the manuscript to maintain proper order.
- All text must be double-spaced, including references and figure legends.
- If illustrations are included, each must be labeled and cited within the text of the manuscript, a legend must accompany every image, and the quality must be good so that the image can be reproduced clearly. Accepted forms of artwork include glossy prints, slides, computer-generated line art, and an artist's (medical illustrator) rendering of images.
- If borrowing material from a previously published source, written permission must be obtained and submitted with the manuscript. We cannot publish anything that has appeared in other work without written permission.
- All references must be numbered and cited within the manuscript in chronological order.
- If using tables, each must be cited within the text.
- A CD containing text, references, tables, and figure legends should be submitted with the manuscript. If using artwork created electronically, submit a printout of all illustrations along with the electronic files on disk.
Electronic guidelines: line art should be submitted as a TIFF file using Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand in a resolution of 1000 dpi. Black and white halftone art should be scanned using PhotoShop in a resolution of 300 dpi. Density ranges for halftone art to allow for quality reproduction should be 2-3% highlights and 95-97% shadows.
- Proper order of manuscript: title page, text, references, tables, figure legends, figures.