Call for Videos: Lateral Sellar Compartment (Cavernous Sinus)
The deadline for submission of videos is April 1, 2020. You may submit your video online:
Due to the high volume of submissions, we have raised the bar of excellence for acceptance of videos. Each video must include the following categories:
- Quality of the video production (picture and sound quality, editing quality) must be of high-definition 2D video (not accepting 3D videos)
- Quality of the video content must have demonstration of technical mastery, operative techniques and nuances.
Each video MUST also include the following elements:
- Title page of video with authors and institution
- Brief history
- Preoperative Imaging
- Brief statement on indication and approach selection (why the approach was chosen)
- Patient positioning
- Surgical approach and exposure of the existing pathology/lesion
- Treatment (resection) of the targeted pathology/lesion
- Closure/reconstruction techniques
- Postoperative imaging
- Brief statement of postoperative course
Videos should also include additional components to enhance the video to increase overall score:
- Subtitle Headings labeling each important step/stage of the operation
- Labeling of intraoperative anatomic structures to help orient the viewer
- Accompanied anatomical dissections and/or drawings (i.e. Rhoton Collection) to help orient anatomy to the viewer
- Smooth, scripted narration, without static or background noise, good volume, lack of long pauses
- Clear high definition video picture quality (surgery is in focus, and centered)
Ultimately, the quality of video content will be evaluated based on the following:
- Does the video demonstrate technical mastery?
- Does this video provide useful techniques and nuances for the viewers?
- Will this video serve as a useful guide (surgical atlas) for those preparing surgery for a similar case?
- Does this video introduce any novel concept, strategy, or technique?
We currently accept 2D video format only (no 3D format).
For Author Instructions, please click here.
Skull Base: Operative Videos is a video journal supplement to Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base, with each issue devoted to a topic of focus, covering a broad range of operative techniques in skull base surgery for a variety of skull base pathologies. The video submissions can include original content as well as nuances of technique ("How I Do It"). Accepted video articles will be cited on PubMed and appear in a separate printed supplement as one page abstracts. This channel enables our global readership to have quick access to a growing archive of high-quality video references for the seasoned and in-training skull base surgeon.